Welcome to the 2019 Bluff Park Art Show. We are so happy that you will be participating in this year’s show. We have tried to include all the information that you will need here. We will update information as it becomes available, and we will send an email to let you know new information is here. However, if you have questions, please send an email to the BPAA Show Chair, and we will respond promptly. Click on the topic below to go directly to that section.
When is the Show? Saturday, Oct. 5, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Where is Bluff Park? Set your GPS to 517 Cloudland Drive, Hoover, AL 35226.
Who is in the Show? The list of outstanding artists can be found here on our website.
Is your information correct? This would be THE time to let us know if your name or medium are incorrect on our website.
Where is my booth? Your booth assignment will be posted here on the website (coming soon) and provided when you check in. The booth layout and numbering system changed last year, and our attendees liked the changes.
NOTE for returning artists: If you came last year, your booth will likely be in the same area this year.
Checking In and Setting Up
Friday, Oct. 4 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Saturday, Oct. 5 – 6:30 am to 8:00 am sharp! (no late entries, sorry)
- When you arrive at the park, come to the exhibition hall back deck to receive your parking pass and artist packet.
- You are highly encouraged to check in on Friday, Oct. 5, instead of waiting until early Saturday morning. This will make sure you have time to enter your selected piece using the AWARD ENTRY CARD found in your artist packet for awards consideration. We’re talking cash prizes!
- If you can’t come until Saturday, you must be checked in by 8:00 a.m. Setup in the park needs to be finished by 8:30 a.m., when judging begins.
- You will be asked to provide the phone number of the cell phone you have with you at the Show and your vehicle tag number to help us with parking issues.
Unloading and loading
- Display your parking pass on your dash at ALL times.
- You can unload your vehicle around the perimeter of the park for setup. There is no long-term parking at the park itself. When you see the park, you’ll understand.
- Assistance during Unloading and Loading – We will have art students on hand Friday afternoon from 3-5 p.m. to assist with unloading, and on Saturday afternoon from 5-7 p.m. for loading. Please let us know if you will need help by sending an email to email@example.com.
- First stop: After checking in at the Exhibition Hall Back Deck, proceed with your vehicle to your booth location (as close as you can get) and unload your art. If you do not have a helper, we will have volunteers available to assist. Move your vehicle to the assigned parking area as soon as possible. Remember, if you can’t come until Saturday, you must be checked in by 8:00 a.m.. Setup in the park needs to be finished by 8:30 a.m., when judging begins.
- Rock, Roots and Gullies: Remember that this is a mountain with rocks and very few level spots, so bring weights (stakes don’t always work with rocks) and lots of chunks of wood or anything else you use to level your tent and exhibits. Also, there is no power in the park.
- Your Spot: Your display area is 12’ x 12’, and your booth number will be painted in the center of the front of your booth space. Patrons start arriving at 9:00 a.m., and believe me, those first buses are full!
- NEW Booth Numbers: If you are one of the 100+ returning artists, you will note that the park is set up in the new arrangement like last year. We found that this allowed for easier flow for our guests in our beautiful, but landlocked park.
Parking during the show
- Most of you will park in the adjacent elementary school lot. There are 120 spots there, and all will be used only for artist parking on first-come basis. You will be given color-coded parking passes for the school parking lot when you check in. The remainder of you will be directed to the nearest local church for parking (Shades Crest Baptist) and a shuttle or board member’s car will return you to the park.
- Remember to display your parking pass on the dash of your vehicle and leave it on display at all times.
- There are approximately 10 spots in the school lot for trailers.
- We will have security by Hoover Police Department personnel Friday overnight, but we cannot be responsible for items left in the canopies. Fortunately, the only culprit we’ve ever had has been the wind. Use your tent weights and stakes please.
- Remember that ours is a show for ORIGINAL FINE ART only. We do not allow copies, reproductions (digital or any other), giclees, photo offset, items made from commercial kits or any other work that is not an ORIGINAL piece of art.
- This rule is strictly enforced.
- We have encountered several questions concerning digital photography. It is a unique fact of the medium that images may be used in several applications. We allow this ONLY if each image result is a direct creation of the artist. No commercial involvement is allowed. Sorry if this doesn’t coincide with your opinion, but these guidelines continue to make us the Show we are.
- If you have a question, just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
$$Awards$$ (Pay attention now, because we’re talking about money. More than $10,000 in award money.)
- About the awards: The Bluff Park Art Association Permanent Collection award is a $3,500 purchase award and is presented to the artist judged Best in Show. The winning artwork becomes a part of our Permanent Collection, and the artist is guaranteed entry into the Show the following year. We will also present additional money ranging from $1,750 to $300 spread over several other awards!
- Your designated entry: You are asked to designate one specific work to be considered for judging and to place the AWARD ENTRY CARD (found in your artist’s packet) on the work in a highly visible spot in your booth no later than 8:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Awards will be announced around 1:30.
- The judge: Our Judge this year is Angie Dodson, the director of the Montgomery Museum of Art. We are sure she will be wowed by your talent!
- Awards presentation: If you are among the lucky winners, we will come find you and provide a booth sitter so you can come to the Pavilion to receive your prize. The awards ceremony will take place around 1:30.
Our goal is to treat our artists like royalty. So, to help you get set up and settled in, take advantage of these nourishing offerings:
- Friday check in: Starting at 9:00 a.m. in the morning, coffee, juice and a light breakfast will be available near the Exhibition Hall for artists and their helpers as a grab and go.
- Friday dinner: Around 4:30, we will provide complimentary light dinner near the Exhibition Hall for all artists and one helper. We will send an email and ask you to respond whether you will attend – YES or NO and whether you want 1 or 2 meals.
- Saturday morning: Beginning at 6:00 a.m. there will be coffee, juices and breakfast items available near the Exhibition Hall to help you get started for the day ahead.
- And on show day: We have food options for artists and art patrons scattered throughout the park including several of Birmingham’s favorites: (list coming soon)
- “Quicker and easier” is our goal. When the show is over, we know you are all in a hurry to break down your exhibit and hit the road.
- Have your sales log totaled and the 20% commission in cash or check written to the Bluff Park Art Association. If you have multiple sheets, make sure your name is on each sheet. Come to the Hall as soon after 5:00 p.m. as possible. We will have several members on hand to take your sheets and commission payment.
- Return the red binder but keep the sales tax forms that are provided to mail to the proper taxing authorities.
- We will verify all sales logs the week after the Show and will notify you of any discrepancies.
Social media – Let your followers know where you will be Oct. 5!
- Our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/265994560641290/
Share the event with your friends!
- Our Facebook handle: @BluffParkArtAssociation
Post a photo of you and/or your work sharing that you are in the show.
- Our Instagram handle: @Bluff_Park_Art_Association
Thank You! We really mean it!
Thank you for being a part of the Bluff Park Art Show. The commissions that are generated through the sale of your works of art are our funding for the furtherance of our mission: facilitating access to art in the communities of the metro Hoover/Birmingham area, offering scholarships to deserving students to further their art education, and funding public sculptures that improve the city landscapes with something beautiful and meaningful. We are an all-volunteer association whose members love the arts.